This masterpiece of Anglo-Palladian design was started by lawyer and future signer of the Declaration of Independence Samuel Chase, who sold it unfinished in 1771 to Eastern Shore planter and legislator Edward Lloyd IV. Lloyd hired the English joiner and builder William Buckland and then local artisan William Noke to oversee completion of the construction project. In 1886, the will of the Hester Ann Chase Ridout, the home’s last individual owner, established it as a home where elderly women “may find a retreat from the vicissitudes of life.” Today, residents of the Chase Home enjoy private bedrooms on the upper floors and daily meals served in the historic dining room.
© 2022 Historic Annapolis. All Rights Reserved.