Jonas and Anne Catharine Green House
The one and a half story, gambrel-roofed frame structure with brick end walls was constructed in the second quarter of the 18th century as a rental property for the printer; Jonas Green. The building’s interior retains a high degree of integrity with most of its eighteenth century trim surviving intact. At one time the property contained the freestanding print shop of Jonas Green, printer of the Maryland Gazette. Jonas’s wife, Anne Catharine continued the printing business after his death in 1767 until her death in March of 1775. Anne Catharine Green was named public printer of Maryland and she was the first woman in America to edit a newspaper. She was so successful—and such a good businesswoman—that she was able to retire the family’s debt and purchase this house, something her husband had never been able to do.