Judge John Brice House
Judge John Brice probably built this home in 1739. He was an important figure in 18th century Maryland, serving as Chief Justice of the Provincial Court, Alderman of Annapolis and Justice of the Western Shore Court. The home’s style is similar to the James Brice House (42 East Street), which John Brice started before his death. These which follow the “Annapolis Plan,” represent a distinct change from the earlier architectural styles already prominent in Annapolis. This structure has finely detailed brickwork with walls laid in Flemish bond, and wide slab chimneys typical of late colonial Annapolis buildings. Also typical of this period is the distinctive Gambrel roof, which is made of hewn and pit-sawn tulip-poplar timbers.
© 2022 Historic Annapolis. All Rights Reserved.